I believe that by far, the greatest, most prosperous, enjoyable years for Americans were the 1950s.
America was then a proud country, manufacturing almost everything it required, its corporations employed Americans, immigrants wanted to become Americans, and Hollywood was an industry focused on providing entertainment instead of political propaganda.
I was fortunate to grow up in the 1950s, an era that I do not believe America will never again see.
For me, those were the good times.
- The 50s were a time when kids played “cowboys and INDIANS and no one screamed that it was racist.
- In the 50s when kids strapped on a set of Hopalong Cassidy or Roy Rogers or Gene Autry SIX GUNS, no one screamed or ran away in terror.
- In the 50s we brought our cowboy ‘guns’ to school for Show and Tell — and no one called the police.
- In the 50s our parents bought us Gilbert chemistry sets right off the shelf — that contained charcoal, potassium nitrate and sulfur and other stuff — that today would send the media into a frenzy. And for those who never had that pleasure, yes, we made our own gunpowder and blew ant hills and other stuff up!
- In the 50s we played tag and Ringelevio — a game that many today call “violent.”
- In the 50s, no one called the police for any of these things. No one was suspended from school, no one cried from being designated “IT” when playing tag.
Even today’s “music” and the so-called musicians seem fixated on how loud their performance can be, how anti-societal it can be, how angry it can be.
It’s my opinion of course, but I think the 50s were indeed the greatest era America will ever see.
Following are six (6) great videos of songs and images from the 1950s through the 70s, plus at the end I posted 29 of my favorite 50s Rock ‘n Roll songs.
We plan to post MORE THAN A THOUSAND tunes in all genres, for your enjoyment. If you have a song title you’d like to see posted please contact us on our CONTACT PAGE and if we have the title we’ll add it.
Ed. Note: The videos are a HUGE download, making up over 200 MB! To prevent problems on slower connections we programmed the videos to load ONLY after you click each, individually. Please be patient if you are on a slower connection.
Join us now, for a full 46 MINUTES and 44 SECONDS of great video!
THE BEST OF TIMES – PART 1
THE BEST OF TIMES – PART 2
THE BEST OF TIMES – PART 3
ROCK ‘N ROLL – THE 1950s
ROCK ‘N ROLL – THE 1960s
ROCK ‘N ROLL – THE 1970s